Your physician has informed you that you should have surgery and has recommended St. Mary’s Medical Center for your procedure. We want you to know that caring for you is a privilege. We promise to provide you with the finest care possible. Please read and follow these important instructions to assist us in that endeavor.
If your physician did not schedule you for a Pre Procedure Clinic visit, please call 485-6020 (option 2) to schedule an appointment. Your appointment should occur no sooner than two weeks but at least two days before your procedure.
The Pre Procedure Clinic is located at Washington Square Mall and is open 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
If you become ill prior to your surgery or need to cancel, please call the physician who scheduled your surgery.
Patient intake for most scheduled surgical procedures begins in the Same Day Surgery Unit. If you have advance questions about your surgery, feel free to call the Same Day Surgery Unit at (812) 485-4494. The unit is open 5:30 a.m. to approximately 9 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Do not eat anything for eight (8) hours before the scheduled surgery unless instructed otherwise by your surgeon. You may drink clear liquids (water, jello, apple juice) up to six hours before surgery. Children up to two years may have solids up to six (6) hours before surgery, breast milk up to four (4) hours before surgery and clear liqluids (water, jello, apple juice) up to two (2) hours before surgery.
- Bring your medications in their original containers with you to the pre procedure visit and to the hospital the day of your procedure.
- Check with your physician and follow his orders about taking your normal medications on the morning of surgery.
- On the day of surgery, please park in designated outpatient parking spaces west of the hospital near the St. Mary’s Medical Center office building (across from the Same Day Surgery sign). If you have a general anesthesia, a family member or friend must accompany you to the hospital and take you home.
- You should arrive at Same Day Surgery two (2) hours prior to the time your surgery is scheduled to allow time to get you prepared for your procedure.
- A bath or shower with an antibacterial soap is recommended the night before and the morning of surgery.
- Do not drink any alcoholic beverages for 24 hours before or after your operation. Alcohol may increase the depth of your anesthesia or the effect of the medicines which you will be given.
- Leave your valuables at home or give them to a family member for safe keeping.
- Do not wear jewelry (including body piercings), hair pieces, contact lenses, nail polish, or make-up on the day of your surgery.
- Should you wear jewelry (including body piercings), you will be asked to remove it prior to going to the operating room. If you are unable to remove your jewelry, you might want to have a jeweler remove it for you prior to the day of surgery. In order to protect the integrity of your ring fingers and avoid burns from cautery, ALL jewelry will be removed (cut off in Same Day Surgery, if necessary) prior to going to surgery. We request this of you to insure your safety during surgery.
- Adults should wear loose fitting clothes that will accommodate dressings and low-heeled shoes. Babies and children may wear night clothes to the hospital. It is reassuring for infants and children to have a favorite toy or “security blanket” with them.
- Food trays are not served and flowers are not delivered to Same Day Surgery patients due to the short duration of their stay.
- Upon discharge, you will be taken to the Lobby or Same Day Surgery entrance where the individual accompanying you may pick you up.