Extensive Outpatient Rehabilitation Services
Our Rehabilitation Services take an interdisciplinary approach to patient care that is tailored to each individual. We use the latest techniques to get you back to functioning as independently as possible, as quickly as possible.
Our comprehensive outpatient program is designed for individuals who still require rehabilitative services, but who are not in need of comprehensive medical management provided in the inpatient rehab hospital setting.
We offer a variety of therapy choices including:
Occupational Therapy is the treatment of physical and developmental disorders through purposeful activities that improve and develop skills needed for everyday independence. It is used when you need assistance with your fine motor skills, sensory skills, visual motor skills and/or motor planning.
- Provides acute and chronic pain management
- Open or sutured wound management to prevent infection and promote healing
- Desensitization training and sensory re-education following nerve injuries or trauma
- Individualized exercise programs to increase motion, dexterity, strength and function
- Education and training in body mechanics, lifting principles, safety, ergonomics, repetitive motion disorders, joint protection, energy conservation, work simplification and problem solving
- Post-surgical treatment, including early motion, strength and endurance training
Physical Therapy is a service that helps you improve function and movement while decreasing your pain.
- Provide management of acute or chronic pain
- Design and implement exercise programs to increase motion, coordination and/or strength
- Assess and recommend bracing or supports for prevention or corrections of injury
- Provide training and conditioning in exercise, transfers, mobility and daily life skills
- Provide a wide selection of physical modalities, manual therapy skills and therapeutic exercise and aquatic therapy
Speech Therapy Program
Speech Therapy is a treatment program designed to help patients regain and increase their ability to communicate through speech. It is also used to treat patients with swallowing difficulties and memory deficits.
Our Center for Children offers a Pediatric Feeding Program for children with feeding/swallowing difficulties.
- Provide screening and treatment in speech, language, swallowing, thought processes and sensory awareness
- Provide consultations for issues related to communication and swallowing
- Assess and intervene in language processing, infant feeding and diagnostic interventions including modified barium swallows
- Establish communication including prescribing and training in use of speech generating devices
- Provide treatments to improve communication and swallowing functions
Hand therapy uses Occupational Therapists for the rehabilitation of the upper limb, which includes the hand, wrist, elbow and shoulder. St. Vincent Outpatient Rehabilitation features two Certified Hand Therapists (CHT) who use their specialized skills in assessment, planning and treatment to restore your ability to use your upper limbs. Our goal is to enhance your ability to execute tasks and participate fully in life situations.
St. Vincent is one of the first facilities in the country to offer a breakthrough hand therapy called the NESS H200TM – a prosthesis made of soft materials that rests over your hand and forearm. Electrodes embedded in the device stimulate muscles in the hand and wrist allowing you to grasp objects and perform tasks that were previously impossible to complete.
Lymphedema is a medical condition that affects the body's lymphatic system. If this system of lymph vessels and nodes is damaged, or if a vessel or node is removed, fluid cannot flow through the system correctly, which causes swelling.
Our lymphedema treatment includes:
- Individualized and/or group activities and exercises focusing on positioning and posture awareness
- Use of intermittent compression pump and/or support garments
- Activity/exercise program emphasizing mobility of the involved limb(s)
- Individualized home activity/exercise program to reinforce precautions with good body mechanics
- A focus on increased flexibility, improved body/mind awareness, re-engagement in more productive lifestyle, decreased pain, controlled swelling and follow through with program guidelines
Neurological Rehabilitation is for people with a variety of conditions, injuries and/or disorders including:
Treatments are tailored to your individual needs and are designed to return you to your optimum ability and independence as quickly and safely as possible.
Our Post-Surgery Programs can help restore health, fitness and well being after surgery. We work with your physician to address your individual needs based on the surgery you had.
- Maximize muscle strength, mobility, fitness and functional activities
- Use education, aquatic therapy, referral for work conditioning and ergonomic training, as well as therapy and exercise as needed
- Ongoing therapy for those with outpatient therapy needs following joint replacement
- Restore health, fitness and well being after surgery
- Incorporate education, aquatic therapy and referral for work conditioning
St. Vincent Vestibular Rehab Program
Vestibular rehabilitation is a form of treatment for vertigo, imbalance and dizziness due to an inner ear dysfunction. Vestibular rehabilitation involves specific maneuvers or exercises that are prescribed to correct problems in the inner ear or to retrain your brain to compensate for problems that cannot be corrected.
Our treatments focus on teaching you techniques to reduce falls and vertigo symptoms and improve balance, posture and movement.
- Decreasing visual dependency
- Monitoring dizziness
- Compensation skill training
- Creating an individualized home exercise program
Physician's Order Required
A physician's order is required for therapy. Patients with a referral from their physician will be evaluated prior to beginning therapy to determine how they would benefit from the program and to create a therapy plan. Call 812.485.6020, option 1, for more information.