St. Mary's Respiratory Care - Providing the Best in Pulmonary Medicine
The Respiratory Care Department at St. Mary's provides a comprehensive program of respiratory care service to both inpatients and outpatients of all ages with known or suspected pulmonary (lung) disease or dysfunction.
All services are provided by licensed Respiratory Therapists under the direction of a physician specially-trained in pulmonary medicine.
St. Mary's Respiratory Care has received the Quality Respiratory Care Recognition award from the American Association for Respiratory Care for the past four years.
Working together with physicians and nursing personnel, the respiratory therapist performs several functions, including:
- Administers and assesses the effectiveness of prescribed treatment
- Evaluates the effects of that treatment on other body systems
- Evaluates the effects of non-pulmonary abnormalities on cardiopulmonary function
- Performs specific tests to assist the physician to diagnose and facilitate the monitoring and treatment of patients
- Staffs intensive care units and other critical care areas with low patient ratios to allow time for quality respiratory care
- Relays this information to other members of the health care team
St. Mary's has 54 Licensed Respiratory Therapists on staff, all of which are Registered or Registry eligible. To contact the Respiratory Care Department, please call (812) 485-4257.