Routine or Sleep Deprivation EEG Instructions
Please report to the Main Lobby of the hospital at the Patient Services desk. Please allow plenty of time for traffic and parking. If you arrive late, your child's appointment may need to be rescheduled.
Your child will not be sedated for this test.
- Your child may eat normally before testing. It would be best to refrain from any products that contain caffeine.
- If your child is less than a year old, time feedings so that your baby will be hungry when you arrive at the hospital. Please bring at least two bottles of formula/milk with you. Once you are at the hospital, you will be instructed on when to give your child the bottle.
- It is important that sleep be limited to four hours the night before the test, preferably from 12 midnight to 4 a.m. It is best to wake your child no later than 4 a.m. so they will take a nap again for the test.
- It is very important to keep your child awake in the car while on the way to the test.
- Bring any item that will help your child relax like a favorite stuffed toy, blanket, VHS/DVD, pacifier, etc.
- Please bring your child's medical history and a list of any medications he/she takes.
- If your child takes morning medication, please give the medication at its regular time.
- Please have your child's hair clean and dry. Do not use conditioners, gels, etc.