St. Mary's Pastoral Care - Helping Experience God's Compassion Through Service
Pastoral Care Department
3700 Washington Avenue
Evansville, IN 47750
Chaplains provide patients, families, associates and physicians the experience of God's compassion, love and healing presence. We believe each person is created in God's image, is loved by God unconditionally, and has the basic right to dignity and respect in life and in death.
Chaplains, as members of the interdisciplinary healthcare team, identify pastoral and spiritual needs, and provide support to those who may be experiencing spiritual distress. The chaplains also communicate with other members of the healthcare team in developing and implementing a pastoral plan of care.
What to expect from a chaplain
- Compassionate care
- Good listening skills
- Respect for your privacy
- Regular visits when appropriate
- Support for patients and family
- Bereavement care
- Information and guidance regarding ethical issues, advance directives, life support decisions and organ donation
How to contact a chaplain
Chaplains are available 24 hours, seven days a week. If you are a St. Mary's patient, ask your nurse to request a chaplain visit. Chaplains respond to emergency and urgent requests at any hour of the day.
Should you have an urgent need, or in an emergency:
- Call the Pastoral Care general page at 812.429.4065 and key in your phone number. A Chaplain will return your call.
- Call the St. Mary's operator at 812.485.4000