St. Mary's Heart Institute - Helping You Obtain Healthy Goals
- Total cholesterol that is less than 200 mg/dL.
- Goals vary for LDL (bad) cholesterol. People with no known heart disease should be at 100 mg/dL or less; people with known heart disease or diabetes should be at 70 mg/dL or less.
- HDL (good) cholesterol should measure 50 mg/dL or greater.
- Triglycerides should measure 150 mg/dL or less.
- Blood pressure should average 120/80 or less.
- Fasting Blood sugar should be less than 110 mg/dL.
- Body Mass Index (BMI) should be 25 or less.
- Waist Circumference should be 35 inches or less.
- You should exercise at least 30 minutes most, or all, days of the week.
- Eat a balanced diet: emphasize fruit, vegetables, cereals and grain products, fat-free and low-fat dairy products, legumes, nuts, fish, poultry and lean meats.
- Do Not Smoke. If you do, STOP!
- Schedule regular visits with your doctor.