Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners
What is the role of a SANE (Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner)?
St. Mary's Emergency Department is pleased to be a member of the Vanderburgh County Sexual Assault Response Team and has provided care for sexual assault victims of all ages, races and populations since 2004.
The SANE Program is staffed by registered nurses who have advanced education and instruction in medical-forensic examination and in psychological and emotional trauma. SANE nurses may also provide expert testimony in a court of law.
Staff realizes this is a frightening, traumatic time for victims. Our SANE nurses are dedicated to providing comprehensive, compassionate care in a safe environment.
Our SANE philosophy of nursing encourages patients to be involved in their plan of care, including:
- Emotional support
- Physical examination and wellness check
- Collection of medical-forensic evidence
- Assistance with reporting the crime to police, when requested (mandatory reporting for children)
- Assistance with concerns about sexually transmitted infection and pregnancy
- Assistance with safety planning
- Development of a medical follow-up plan