Decrease (-) Restore Default Increase (+)
Print    Email
Bookmark and Share

Health Information

Health Information

Health Information

Health Information - Definition

Search Health Information    Allergic Reaction to a Bite or Sting

Allergic Reaction to a Bite or Sting

An allergic reaction occurs when the immune system overreacts to an allergen in the venom of a stinging or biting insect. Symptoms include itching, rash, hives, joint swelling, inflammation at or around the site of the sting or bite, trouble breathing, or a severe reaction called anaphylaxis.

Treatment for insect sting allergies depends on how severe the reaction is. Mild local reactions can often be treated with cold packs and medicines for pain, swelling, and itching. An epinephrine shot can treat more serious reactions. A severe reaction (anaphylaxis) is potentially life-threatening and requires emergency care.

Last Revised: April 8, 2013

Author: Healthwise Staff

Medical Review: William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine & H. Michael O'Connor, MD - Emergency Medicine

This information does not replace the advice of a doctor. Healthwise, Incorporated disclaims any warranty or liability for your use of this information. Your use of this information means that you agree to the Terms of Use. How this information was developed to help you make better health decisions.

© 1995-2014 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.

© 2014 St. Mary's Health System   |  3700 Washington Avenue  |  Evansville, IN 47750  |  (812) 485-4000