Decrease (-) Restore Default Increase (+)
Print    Email
Bookmark and Share

More Related Information

More Related Information

More Related Information

Search Health Information    Beyond the medicine cabinet

Beyond the medicine cabinet

(HealthDay News) -- Normally helpful products can turn harmful if they fall into the wrong hands or are used in the wrong way. Laundry detergent, bug spray, nail polish, even glow-in-the-dark toys, for instance, could be poisonous to a child.

To keep kids safe, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggests:

  • Read the labels on all products brought into the home.
  • Keep chemical products, including cleaning solutions and beauty products, in their original containers. Children might think something stored in a food or beverage container is safe to drink.
  • Never mix household products together. Combining bleach and ammonia, for instance, can create toxic fumes.
  • Turn on a fan and open windows when using chemical products indoors. These include basic household cleansers.
  • Don't leave household products out after using them. Put them back right away in a childproof cabinet.
  • Keep poisonous plants, inside and outside, out of children's reach. Or, remove them altogether until children are older.
  • Post the poison control number -- 800-222-1222 -- by every phone in the house, and put it on cell phones, too. The line is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Copyright © 2010 ScoutNews LLC. All rights reserved.



© 2014 St. Mary's Health System   |  3700 Washington Avenue  |  Evansville, IN 47750  |  (812) 485-4000