St. Mary's Announces Joint Replacement Program 12/22/2014 St. Mary’s is pleased to announce the creation of Joint Replacement Solutions, a new pre and post operation recovery program for patients having total knee and/or hip replacement surgery. The goal is that each patient is fully informed about their surgery, therapy and recovery every step of the way. This program has been developed in collaboration with TriState Orthopaedic Surgeons. The program begins with each patient being fully educated about his or her procedure prior to surgery and continues with inpatient group therapy followed by education and preparation for recovery at home.
Other features of the Joint Replacement Solutions program include:
• Nurses and therapists who specialize in the care of joint replacement patients
• Family or friends educated to participate as “coaches” in the recovery process
• A preoperative education class for patient and “coach” to help them feel confident as to what to expect before, during and after surgery
• Private rooms
• Emphasis on group activities and therapy
• Group lunches with other patients
• Educational and motivational tools, such as a tracking board for walking progress and daily newsletters for patient and family
• A Joint Care Coordinator who facilitates patient care from the preoperative phase through discharge and recovery
• A comprehensive guidebook for patients including information on the plan of care from six weeks pre-op until discharge and outpatient recovery
• A coordinated aftercare program using a continuity of care communication tool
• Quarterly focused luncheons for former patients and coaches
• Public education seminars about hip and knee pain
Groups of surgeries will be scheduled three days each week, allowing for patients to go through the experience with others who are in a similar situation. Each patient is assigned a special, dedicated team consisting of an orthopaedic surgeon, anesthesiologist, registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and social workers. This is a team effort on the part of St. Mary’s staff to be with the patient every step of the way to ensure the best patient experience.
The Joint Replacement Solutions Program will begin early in 2006.