Auxiliary Awards Scholarships 06/06/2014 The Auxiliary celebrated a very successful year by awarding $29,000 in scholarships to worthy recipients. The Annual Meeting and Scholarship Luncheon was held in early June. The Auxiliary presented six high school seniors with scholarship awards. The awards included the Achievement Award Scholarships, Teen Volunteer Awards and The Daughters of Charity Mission Award. Recipients were selected based on their financial need, GPA, activities, leadership, interviews and other leadership criteria.
The winners of the 2014 Annual Achievement Awards were:
• Kelsey Owen received $5,000. She is the daughter of Lori Owen who works in the Ultrasound Department of St. Mary’s. Kelsey will attend U of E in the fall.
• Caitlin Day received $3,500. She is the daughter of Angie Day who works in the Human Resources Department. Caitlin is planning to attend U of E in the fall.
• Michael Elpers received $2,500. Michael is the son of Kevin Elpers. He works in the Clinical Equipment Department. Michael plans to attend The University of Southern Indiana in the fall.
The achievement award winners were interviewed and scored by community leaders Dr. Sharon Kazee, University of Evansville First Lady and Community Volunteer and by Mr. Tim Flesch, Retired President and CEO of St. Mary’s Medical Center.
The winner of the $2,000 Daughters of Charity Mission award was:
• Sabrina Dycus – daughter of Diana Dycus who worked in the Inpatient Rehab Dept.
The winners of the $1,000 Teen Volunteer Awards were:
• Tim Gold - son of Bob Gold who works in Pharmacy Department. Tim volunteered 133 hours at St. Mary’s.
• Addison Eden. Addison has given back 96 hours to St. Mary’s.
The Auxiliary also contributed $14,000 to fund scholarships for nursing staff members to advance their degrees. These scholarships were presented on May 8, 2014 during the Annual Nurses Banquet and Awards.