Breastfeeding Benefits - Baby and Mom
When asked, most moms report they breastfeed for reasons that benefit the baby. While it's undeniable that breastfeeding is good for your baby, there are also many benefits for you!
Benefit to Moms:
- Breastfeeding helps to shed pregnancy weight by burning up to 500 calories per day.
- Breastfeeding mothers will experience less vaginal bleeding after delivery. This is because the hormones released while breastfeeding cause the uterus to contract to its normal size much quicker.
- The longer a woman breastfeeds, the greater the protection she receives against breast and ovarian cancer.
- Breastfeeding increases bone density, which decreases chance of osteoporosis.
- Convenience, no bottles to wash, no formula to mix.
- Saves money. Over time, formula can cost $1400 to $4000 per baby depending on the type the baby needs.
- Bonding is FANTASTIC!!!!
Benefit to babies - babies have:
- Decreased risk of childhood illnesses and infections.
- Decreased risk of childhood leukemia and Hodkin's lymphoma.
- Decreased risk of juvenile diabetes, asthma, and eczema.
- Decreased risk of obesity and dental cavities.
- Increased IQ scores in school-aged children.
- Increased visual acuity.
- Better oral development, less likely to need braces.
- Lower incidence of food allergies, colic, and spitting. Breast milk provides growth factors that mature the baby's digestive system.