News Media Assistance and Guidelines
St. Vincent Marketing and Public Relations Department is responsible for all media relations for St. Vincent Health, including all news releases and handling media inquiries, which includes interviews with patients, physicians and staff. Media interested in contacting St. Vincent Health should call or e-mail PR/Media Relations Coordinator, Randy Capehart.
Media on Campus
- Our Marketing and Public Relations representatives handle inquiries, verify information and secure advance clearances and signed consents for interviews with patients, physicians and staff.
- Members of the news media interested in interviewing or filming on campus must first request permission from a Marketing and Public Relations representative. Our representatives escort members of the news media while they are at a St. Vincent Health location.
- Maintaining patient privacy and health information confidentiality not only is the law—it is one of our most important responsibilities. For this reason, patients must provide prior consent to have personally identifying information recorded or captured for purposes not directly related to treatment or care.
Release of Patient Information
St. Vincent is responsible for protecting the privacy and confidentiality of its patients and patient information. We will release a one-word description of a patient’s condition to the media, in accordance with Privacy Regulations with HIPAA, if the patent is listed in the hospital directory. To receive a condition report, we must have the correct spelling of the patient’s first and last name. All patients are given the opportunity to withhold information about their care. The general patient condition definitions are:
- Good - Vital signs are stable and within normal limits. Patient is conscious and comfortable. Indicators are excellent.
- Fair - Vital signs are stable and within normal limits. Patient is conscious, but may be uncomfortable. Indicators are favorable.
- Serious - Vital signs may be unstable and not within normal limits. Patient is acutely ill. Indicators are questionable.
- Critical - Vital signs are unstable and not within normal limits. Patient may be unconscious. Indicators are unfavorable.
- Not listed - Patient is not at the hospital or has requested exclusion from the patient directory. In either case, the hospital is NOT permitted to release any information, including confirming or denying that the person is a patient at our facility.
For after regular business hours/weekend patient condition requests, please call St. Vincent Switchboard at 812.485.4000 and ask for the Nursing Supervisor.