Vestibular Rehab Available at the Washington Square Facility
- Interventions are based on a comprehensive equilibrium assessment addressing vision, balance, spatial relations, proprioception, vestibular system integration and differentiation of impairment type.
- Special tests including Motion Sensitivity Test, Dix-Hallpike Test, fine tuning vestibular reflexes and/or an occulomotor examination may be initiated to differentiate types of impairment.
- Treatment interventions focus on inhibiting/decreasing visual dependency, monitoring dizziness, compensation skill training, and an individualized home exercise program.
- Outcomes include compensation techniques to reduce falls, reduced incidence of vertigo symptoms, improved balance, improved posture and improved gait/ambulation.
- Clients referred for vestibular rehabilitation are requested to:
- HOLD medication(s) for balance problems on day of PT evaluation
- Wear tennis shoes or shoes with good foot support
- Plan to have another individual available to help drive home
- Expect possible motion/movement sickness during the evaluation and follow-up treatments.
Contact St. Mary’s Call Center (812) 485-6920 1 to schedule your first treatment.