St. Mary's Receives Magnet Designation
In January of 2011, St. Mary's Medical Center was named a Magnet® designated facility by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC). Developed by the American Nurses Credentialing Center, the Magnet Recognition Program® honors healthcare organizations that provide nursing excellence. Magnet® designation is the gold standard for nursing care.
What is Magnet and why is this important to you?
The Magnet Recognition Program® recognizes health care organizations for quality patient care, nursing excellence and innovations in professional nursing practice. Consumers rely on Magnet designation as the ultimate credential for high quality nursing. Developed by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), Magnet is the leading source of successful nursing practices and strategies worldwide.
To put it simply, Magnet recognition is a program that recognizes excellence in nursing.
- As a Magnet facility, St. Mary's will be able to better recruit and retain the best nurses to provide our patients with high-quality, compassionate care.
- Magnet facilities have better patient outcomes.
- Magnet recognition contributes to total score for quality of inpatient care in the "America's Best Hospitals" ranking in U.S. News & World Report.
- Only the top 7% of hospital in the country have received this recognition.
- Magnet designation shows our community that we have met some of the highest standards in patient care and quality.
- St. Mary's is the first hospital in Evansville to receive this recognition.
The difficult process for receiving Magnet recognition included design and implementation of our model of nursing care (Relationship-Based Care) and establishing Shared Governance to incorporate all nurses into decision making processes.
In addition, St. Mary's nurses wrote our story to the ANCC in over 3,000 pages of supporting documents. After our documents were accepted, St. Mary's had a three-day site visit by appraisers who eventually made a recommendation to the ANCC governing board. In January 2011, we received the call that the ANCC board had unanimously approved St. Mary's as a Magnet recognized facility.
In short, this mean the best work environment for our nursing staff, better relationships amongst patients and caregivers and the highest-quality care for our patients.
See the news release announcing our Magnet Designation.
The Magnet Recognition Program®, ANCC Magnet Recognition®, Magnet® names and logos are registered trademarks of the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Journey to Magnet Excellence™ and National Magnet Conference® are trademarks of the American Nurse Credentialing Center. All rights reserved.